This new reference group aims to build on the work of the EAPC Task Force on Neurology which had been able to facilitate the publication of the EAN / EAPC Consensus document in the European Journal of Neurology and draft a curriculum for training for neurologists and palliative care specialists.
There are close links with the Palliative Care Scientific Panel of the European Academy of Neurology and a Memorandum of understanding has been agreed between the two organisations. There is agreement to look at further collaboration, sessions in Congresses and potential research collaborations.
The aims and objectives of the Group are:
1. Collaboration with the European Academy of Neurology
2. Development of curriculum for neurologists and palliative care specialists
3. Development of education and sessions at each other's Congresses
4. Development of research in palliative care in neurology across Europe
5. Collaboration with the World Federation of Neurology
Initial plans for 2016-2018 are:
1. Development of a Core curriculum on palliative care for neurologists and neurology for palliative care specialists, working with the UEMS (European Union of Medical Specialists) - 2017
2. Congress sessions in 2017 at the EAPC World Congress in Madrid and the EAN Congress in Amsterdam, and the EAN Congress in Lisbon in 2018
3. Development of research ideas developed - by end of 2017
4. To consider a European wide research project in 2018