EAPC task force on patient-reported outcome measurement in palliative care (2015)
The task force started its work at the 12th EAPC Congress in Lisbon 18 to 21 May 2011
Patient reported outcome measurement plays an increasingly important role in palliative care and is used in clinical care (e.g. assessing symptoms and needs of patients), audit (quality assurance of services) and research (e.g. study the effectiveness of an intervention). Hundreds of generic outcome measures and specific symptom measures exist for patients in the palliative care situation. Although initiatives were started over the last decade to improve outcome measurement in palliative care, a clear roadmap or uniform approach to measuring outcomes is lacking. As palliative care services increasingly need to justify their existence and show their quality, documentation of outcomes is paramount.
Various international and national groups, such as the PRISMA group, the EPCRC, PCOC in Australia or the German outcome project are dealing with outcome measurement in palliative care. An EAPC task force could help to bring these groups together and move efforts forward to improve outcome measurement in palliative care on a European and wider international level. As there are various links to the African Palliative Care Association APCA (within PRISMA, EAPC) we would like to invite two colleagues from Africa to participate in the task force. Also, contacts already exist to colleagues in the US and Australia who are involved in moving the topic forward in their countries.
Aims & objectives
- To harmonise approaches to outcome measurement in palliative care
- To agree on a common language for outcome measurement in palliative care
- To develop reccomendations for a toolkit of outcome measures in palliative care
- To provide resources for the use of patient-reported outcome measures in palliative care
- To link outcome measurement and quality indicators for palliative care
Cicely Saunders Institute, Department of Palliative Care, Policy and Rehabilitation
The following documents are held under copyright by Hayward Group Ltd, publisher of the European Journal of Palliative Care. It may be downloaded for single academic use only.
- Bausewein, C et al (2011), Outcome Measurement in Palliative Care, The Essential, PRISMA
- Harding, R and Higginson, IJ (2010), PRISMA- share best practice in end-of-life cancer care research and measurement, Eur J Pall Care 2010;17 (4):181-85
The following document is held under copyright by SAGE Publications Ltd, publisher of of Palliative Medicine. For further information please contact the editor-in-chief here.
- Baueswein, C et al (2015)., EAPC White Paper on outcome measurement in palliative care: Improving practice, attaining outcomes and delivering quality services – Recommendations from the European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC) Task Force on Outcome Measurement, Palliative Medicine 2015; 1 – 17
Prof. Dr. med. PhD MSc
Department of Palliative Medicine
Klinikum der Universität München Campus Großhadern Marchioninistr. 15,
Cicely Saunders Institute
Department of Palliative Care Policy and Rehabilitation King’s College London, UK
David Currow – Australia
Lukas Radbruch – Germany
Steffen Simon - Italy
Massimo Costatini - Norway
Stein Kaasa -Netherlands
Luc Deliens - Portugal
Pedro Lopez Ferreira - South Africa
Kath Defilippi - Sweden
Gunnar Steineck - Uganda
Julia Downing - UK
Richard Harding - USA