The Taskforce entails two strands of work working closely with representative lead experts in 29 European countries. Representatives/country leads are experts in the field of palliative care in LTCFs with relevant clinical practice, research and/or education experience in this area. They have links to experts and specialist contacts within their respective countries. Alongside the EAPC, the following partner organisations: European Forum for Primary Care, AGE – Platform Europe, and Alzheimer Europe are calling on their members to provide input, and are delivering policy content and overviews, and identifying relevant information from other stakeholders.The country information will be collected and verified using two approaches:
1. Documentary review
The best practices identified by Age-Platform Europe under the Eustacea project (supported by the European Commission’s Daphne III Programme) and its follow-up project WeDO on the Wellbeing and Dignity of Older People have been screened for relevance for LTCFs and integrated in respective country information.
Outputs from completed EU projects and bodies (Ancien, Interlinks, Shelter) have been searched for relevant country information.
2. A survey, using a structured questionnaire, has been circulated to country leads to collate information from national organisations, government departments and networks of long term care providers about:
- population, nature and types of LTCFs
- proportion of deaths in LTCFs
- funding and regulatory context
- existing formal palliative care structures or services, organizations and policies at local, regional, national level and use in LTCFs
- examples and evidence for current palliative care practices and innovative approaches
Based on the data collected, palliative care activities will be classified into different types of palliative care systems and practices, alongside their occurrence. Key common palliative care components will be identified.
Ethics approval is not needed as the information sought is already available in the public domain and published literature.
|Country leads identified
|Documentary analysis completed
|Typology of palliative care components in LTCFs agreed
|Writing of Final report and Dissemination
|Core group meetings
||June 2014; December 2014; June 2015; December 2015; June 2016.
|Workshop EAPC Lleida 2014
|Presentation EAPC Copenhagen 2015
|Presentation EAPC 2016
|Intermediate EAPC reports submitted
|Final EAPC Report submitted
|Peer reviewed publication submitted